Next White House Disability Group Monthly Call to Take Place April 28th
Next White House Disability Group Monthly Call to Take Place April 28th

Categories: Disability.Blog News

In order to help keep you more informed, the White House is hosting monthly calls to provide updates on various disability issues, as well as to introduce individuals who work on disability issues in the federal government.

The next call will take place on Thursday, April 28 at 2:00 PM Eastern.

Dial in for listeners: United States: (888) 428-4479

Title: White House Disability Call (use instead of code)

Please call in at least five minutes prior to the start of the call.

For live captioning during the call, visit http://www.fedrcc.us//Enter.aspx?EventID=1745291&CustomerID=321.

This call is off the record and not for press purposes.

25 Responses to Next White House Disability Group Monthly Call to Take Place April 28th

1. Sheila E. says:

There was an earlier comment regarding Health Insurance that I must comment on as well. My work ended in January of 2010. I was approved for SSDI January 2011. I have used my months of reduced payments with Cobra and now sit without any Insurance due to no one will cover me. It is needless to say how important health
    insurance is to someone who is disabled. Yet, the system has failed, to date, with options that are reasonable. I will not be eligible for Medicare until July 2012. I do hope someone will address this issue. There are many of us between the rock and the hard place. We are willing to pay a reasonable amount but, once again, no one will insure us.
    Sincerely.

2. BitterRoot Woman/Rondina RossFire says:

Ahnpetu Washteh! Good Morning and my Native Language is: Dakota – Lakota – Nakota. (Ishayanti, Hunkpapa). My name is BitterRoot Woman, Rondina RossFire.
    My TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY(s) were NOT easily diagnosed or symptoms were NOT clearly “visible” to four different doctors/physicians. I had applied for SSDI in 1996, but was not taken seriously. By 1995, I wasn’t sleeping to the point that I didn’t recall a dream – SLEEP DEPRIVATION PSYCHOSIS. About 2005, I finally met and was medically helped by Dr. John Vuchtevich, U. of Minnesota and Dr. Kristen Ryan. So many years were NOT actually lived. My family life had “disappeared,” as did my professional career. I am finally able to “see” the real world again. I may be better health/mind-wise and pray and believe I will improve to be working a productive life span again.
    Perhaps I will still have a couple of people who are my family “see” me again.
    MitaKuweh Oyasin “Doksha”

3. SSG Cheryl K.(Ret'd) says:

I am a combat-disabled Iraq veteran who uses a service dog primarily to mitigate my combat-related PTSD, and secondarily for occasional mobility issues. The ADA guarantees me public access rights with my psychiatric service dog (PSD), but the VA is not governed by the ADA, and current policies do not recognize PSDs. This has resulted in periods, some lengthy, wherein I could not access my ongoing medical treatment while responsible officials “investigated” my status. Often, veterans nationwide have been questioned, harassed, and even arrested for accessing VA care with PSDs, due to variations in policies between different facilities and misunderstandings as to the nature of PSDs. My senator, Patty Murray, who sits on the Senate VA committee (!), was worse than no help in sorting out the situation when it initially erupted in late 2009. I am currently in contact with Lynnette Nilan, Director for Strategic Planning and Measurement Patient Care Services – VACO, who is involved in an ongoing effort to revise and standardize policies VA-wide. However, this process is expected to take several months at best, and in the meantime, veterans attempting to access their entitled medical care face many forms of harassment and discrimination if their disability requires the use of a service dog.

4. MONICA V. says:

No tengo, comentario para hacer, solo necesito asistencia, para ticket work.

5. Cheryl B. says:

I am 52, disabled and raising my 10 year old daughter. My house is NOT handicap friendly and I have been looking for the past 6 months through the internet and phone calls to try and find a group or some part of the government that I could obtain a grant from to have my house made handicap friendly. Does anyone out there know of anything that could help me?
    I live in Clarence, NY on a very, very low income. I cannot walk unaided so when I need to do laundry, I have to literally climb three flights of stairs and this is impossible to do carrying laundry.
    Thank you very much & God Bless.

6. Chris B. says:

If you were exposed to Agent Orange, you need to go to the nearest VA hospital and register for VAhealth care. Ask to be assigned a primary health doctor and a mental health doctor for ptad. In order to file a claim for your disabilities, you need to create a paper trail which diagnoses you condition. If you do not have a paper trail, it is hard to establish your claim for service connection.
    Start asking questions and take action – you did your part, now it’s the VA’s turn to help you.
    the longer you wait the more benifits you will loose

7. Phoebe H. says:

Those who are upset about having to pay back a $20,000 SSI overpayment in one month should be reassured that this is not your only option. Call your local Social Security office and talk to someone there about it. Even if you were truly overpaid, you may be able to get the amount waived or else have the amount withdrawn from your benefit check reduced to a very small amount like $10/mo based upon the financial hardship it would cause you to repay this in one month. A lawyer should not be necessary in a situation like this.

8. Robert G. says:

What enforcement procedures are available to a Medicare Beneficiary that has been injured in a (RTW program), and has been granted a WCMSA Approval by COBC? In addition, as a follow-up question, having been granted a WCMSA Re-Evaluation Approval, overruling a (NJ) WC Court’s settlement decision, denying an effort to “illegally shift” future medical costs to Medicare for life, the MSPRC/COBC having ruled in favor of the Petitioner, that Medicare’s full interests must be protected, as stated in the WCMSA Approval from that injury, having been made again in the WCMSA Re-Evaluation, who enforces it? When Beneficiaries Counsel, Respondent’s Counsel, the NJ DAG, & NJ DWC Court have all been part of issuing a ruling that has been overruled, the question, “Who NOW protects the obviously unprotected Medicare Beneficary?”

9. David M. says:

When is Congress going to use the law to override the COLA? This is UNAMERICAN for us to not get a decent raise while everybody else does and our tax dollars are going to every country in the world except here at home. The cost of living goes way beyond what we are paid. Our COLA should be matched with inflation and the President, Congress and Senate should take a major pay cut.
    I am tired of spending all my fixed-income on gasoline, food, and medications. Cannot even enjoy going out to a movie or out to eat. Cannot even go out on a date. Unable to visit family and/or friends thanks to the Obama administration and the liberal controlled Senate. By the way, your illusion of control is just that.

10. Zhhamenique R. says:

I have section 8, and want to port to Manhattan, my home town. However every agency I have contacted to help does absolutely nothing, or they send me to another agency that does nothing.

I am in Poughkeepsie, NY due to being rear-ended in my car which was totaled. I should have been totaled in the accident – my spine imploded. I prefer death rather than to live the way I have been forced to live. I have no family nor friends here. I have two parakeets, Frick and Frack, for company. I love the arts – non existent in Poughkeepsie.

I had a nervous breakdown last year. I went to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital because I was suicidal. I was forced to go to Westchester Columbia Presbyterian, where I was misdiagnosed, and to add insult to injury, I was placed in a substance abuse ward and put on the wrong medication which cased me to break out in boils. I will not survive another winter here that’s how miserable I am in Poughkeepsie.

I am disabled, not stupid, in fact I am highly intelligent. How do I get the help I need to go home? I cannot sign the paper work to port unless I have an apartment ready for me to move into. I have no money for a security deposit. I live on disability. I can barely feed myself. Yet the top 2 percent get tax cuts, and places like GE pay no taxes at all. The other big boys get bailouts.

I came to Dutchess County to attend the Culinary Institute Of America and obtain my bachelor’s in Culinary Arts and in a nanosecond my future was stolen from me.
    There was no settlement to speak of – my insurance company didn’t even come to look at my car, somehow I became the villain.
    You want a comment? HELP ME GO HOME, SAVE MY LIFE BY GIVING ME QUIALITY OF LIFE.

Zhhamenique R.

11. Nancy M. says:

Goverment do not forget the group of disabled people who do not qualify for Medicaid and several programs because we are just a few dollars over the limit. We pay too much in taxes for our income. Our expenses are high due to our disability.

12. Robert E. says:

The following is an statement of my employment with KBR (Kellogg Brown & Root). I only found out about the company named “Service Employees International, Inc.” when I recently applied for my Social Security Disability Benefits. I was denied disability and given the reason of not having paid in enough quarters to be eligible. SEII withheld my SS and Medicare taxes and never paid them to the US Gov. The 5 quarters I was short was for the time I worked in Iraq. I was a member of the T-Sites Dining Facilities in Southern Iraq from April 18, 2004 to June 18, 2005.
    I understand that 2 US Senators discovered this illegal tax shelter on the SEII employees and co-sponsered legislation that later became law to outlaw the practice. I believe the 2 Senators were the now President Obama and Senator Kerry. How can I get my 5 quarters of credit from a company like KBR or their wholly owned subsidiary SEII based in the Caymen Islands and start collecting my well earned Social Security disability? I am not asking for anything that I have not paid for.

13. Laura says:

I like Tracy am disabled and receiving compensation payments. If someone makes a typo like she said happened to her, I would be furious!! How is someone who is disabled collecting what ever SSD, SSI and Comp give you pay back $20,000 in a month? I don’t understand the government’s way of thinking.This is not realistic! I am scared now since reading her comment! This has to be a joke! Right? Give me a break!! Come on people of the government, get down to our level and see what living with a disability really is like… NO FUN!!!

14. Lou says:

I am a Viet Nam veteran. I served 18 months in Nam. Was I exposed to Agent Orange? Yes, even if you spent all of your time in country in Saigon you probably
    had exposure. I was in An Khe but I did travel to Pleiku, Quin Yon, Cameron Bay and Saigon. When I went to Quin Yon it was by truck of jeep thru the mountains. Since that time, I have develop a “seizure” condition and have to take toxic medication to control the seizures The VA tells me that the government does not believe that any of the many Viet Nam veterans, well above the norm of non vets, can prove that their condition was due to Agent Orange. Several other conditions are covered by the government, but not seizures. The medications are expensive and when I retire, I will either have to stop my meds and have seizures or cut down on food, heating, etc. This is what the government thinks should be the norm for Veterans that were drafted to fight in a war that the government knew we would never win. Non-volunteers died, wounded, exposed to Agent Orange and other pesticides for absolutely no reason. I know the “President” thinks that old people should just shut up and die and that veterans in a draft or volunteer service should pay for their own medical procedures, medication, etc. that were due to their service in the military. Do we need a revolution for our so called government to stop these evil behaviors that are committed in our name?

15. Phyllis M. says:

I have a question about disability. I am soon to be 51 years old. I have applied for it 4 times already, Well, I found out a couple of months ago why I was having so much pain in my left hip and legs. My hip bone did not grow right when I was born, so it is causing a lot of pain all the time. Had to go to the hospitial Monday, for a shot in my right hip for pain. I have to walk with a cane and my Doctor filled out a handicap form for me, because I can’t walk too far. I can’t find a lawyer to take my case, because I haven’t worked in 11 years. I don’t understand this, It is not right. If I could work, I would. Plus my husband’s job is closing in June, so I don’t know how we are going to make it. It’s not fair at all.

16. Paula says:

As a former federal civil servant, terminated from U.S. Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) after I herniated a disk in my back, developed sciatica all the way down my leg into my right foot, and then later tripped and fell and tore the meniscus in my right knee, please be advised that they refused to discuss reasonable accommodations, and in fact, fought my temporary worker’s comp. Army military officers cannot be exempted from adhering to the ADA and the Rehab Act of 1973. Instead, I was treated as an injured soldier – just thrown out.

17. Chandra B. says:

I finally received my disability in 2120, after years of fighting (since March 2001). Yet, I can’t afford to live because I only receive $674. They only went back as far as 2008 for approval – which leaves me with medical bills from 2001-2007. I can’t afford the extra money to pay them. I understand the average amount for disability is $1,074. Is it fair that we who worked all our lives have to suffer and nearly starve to death? We can’t help the economy if we can’t afford life’s basics like housing & food.

18. Tracy says:

Well, they want me to pay something back even though I’m disabled. What will happen if they take it away from me, even though I told the truth in court? So what my child off of it even if she is not 18 years old. I don’t know what to do. Maybe I will go see a lawyer and ask him for advice to see what’s going on. Then I have this feeling I’m going to be out on the street. I even applied for a grievance because I can’t make it with all the stuff going up so high in price. My daughter told me to go and buy her clothes. I have no money. I’m paying on a car right now. It’s their fault and they are taking it out on me now for their mistake and they told me this. So I’ve been trying to call a lawyer for help. Got to go. Let you know what the lawyer tells me.

19. Citizen says:

Read Karen’s Restution Story in the Montrose Daily Press Montrose, Colorado 2007. This tells it like it is. Bad very, bad.

20. Alton says:

Yes, I’m on disability. I agree with the other party – we should not be in fear of losing our Social Security after we had worked so hard for it….that should be the last thing on our mind – worrying about if our Social Security is coming to a HAULT. I did not break the system, and people on disability should not have to pay for mistakes. I have lots of disability problems and it sickens me more to have to worry about how I’m going to pay for my medicine if it comes to that. I’m 51 yrs of age and I’m not getting any younger. My body is not as strong as it used to be. Sad to say, but it is what it is. My question is – things need to be worked out without interrupting hard working people’s incomes. That’s all we have, as myself and others worked hard to stay above level. Please think about what you are doing so we don’t have to suffer, it’s hard to survive from one check to another. Thank You, Bless You in doing the right thing.

21. David says:

I am a disabled individual. I believe people with disabilities should not be in fear of losing their Social Security if they earn over the $1,000 threshold because there was no cost of living increase, yet everything is going up in price. It’s simply not fair to us.

22. Sonya says:

My question about disability is, why is there a two year waiting list for Medicaid or Medicare? I’m a 45 year old female who has a disability that prevents me from working. In 2009, I awakened to get ready for work and couldn’t move out of my bed because I was in so much pain. I had to take a FMLA from my job, which resulted in my employer terminating me because I couldn’t return back to work before I had to have back surgery in 2010. It was diagnosed as a failed surgery because it left me with no feeling in my leg from my knee down to my ankle and I can’t stand, walk or lift without the chronic back pain I still have. I fought for my disability from 2009 and I was considered disabled in 2011. I haven’t had medical coverage since being terminated. Social Security told me I had to wait two years. I really don’t understand how this works. It is new to me because I always worked and had medical coverage and now I don’t. Please help me to understand this a little better. I thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to read this and help me in any way possible.

23. tracy says:

I can’t even work and SSI made a mistake on my account. Now I have to pay for it because they made a typo mistake. Is this fair to me? What happens now? I never hid anything from them and I even called them and they knew that I was on worker’s comp at the time. Now they want time to pay back this amount that I cannot afford so what happens now to me?
    This was not my fault. They told me this girl made a typo and now they want $20,000 back from me in one month. This is a joke, right? I can’t stand that long and I fall and I don’t sleep. I have back problems, can’t drive too long, also, so tell me what do I do now? Get a lawyer again? Even if I did, they knew this stuff and are still going after me, so what can I do now to make this right even though this was not my fault?

24. Big John says:

Why won’t Obama invite ordinary people with disabilities or the families to see first hand and thrill people into believing like he cares, which most people don’t, unless it effects them or their family?

25. Cheri H. says: