Take a Look at the Stars of 2011 – Top 10 Guest Blogs
Take a Look at the Stars of 2011 – Top 10 Guest Blogs

Categories: Disability.Blog News

A Photograph of Fireworks in Washington, D.C.

By the Disability.gov Team

It’s hard to believe that tomorrow, when the clock strikes midnight, the Disability.gov team will begin a new year of guest blogs. Once again, we have a lot to be thankful for – let’s start with recognizing the excellent posts we featured from Disability.gov’s federal partners; nonprofit organizations such as NICHCY, the Family Caregiver Alliance and the Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law; as well as leaders in the disability community, including the Honorable Tony Coelho, Bob Williams and Dr. Jonathan Young. We are appreciative that more than 75 guest bloggers took the time to share their expertise and personal stories.

This year, Disability.Blog highlighted professional photographs and personal stories from the No Boundaries Photo Project, a Disability.gov initiative that educates employers and others about the skills and talents of individuals with disabilities. We also redesigned Disability.Blog – and although, it’s still a work in progress – we’re proud of its new look and feel. Recently, we moved the blog to WordPress in order to enhance accessibility and usability for all readers.

Most importantly, we’d like to recognize each and every one of you for visiting Disability.Blog, and for your thoughtful comments and questions. We look forward to ushering in another great year of guest blogs in 2012.

Below are the 10 most popular guest blogs on Disability.Blog from the past year (based on page views):

1. Together, We Can Improve Lives by Jeff Sell, Esq., Vice President of Public Policy & General Counsel at the Autism Society
  1. Q & A: Reasonable Accommodations by the Job Accommodation Network team
  1. Benefits.gov – Your Path to Government Benefits by the Benefits.gov Team
  1. Celebrating the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) at Home and Abroad by Judith Heumann, Special Advisor for International Rights at the Department of State
  1. Living Free: Celebrating the Accessibility Requirements of the Fair Housing Act by Bryan Greene, General Deputy Assistant Secretary at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
  1. “No Boundaries” Education by Patricia K. Ralabate, Ed.D., Director of the National UDL Center, and David Gordon, Director of Communications at CAST
  1. Social Security Administration Announces 2011 Work Incentives Webinar Series by Dan O’Brien, Acting Associate Commissioner, Office of Employment Support Programs, Social Security Administration
  1. My Name is Evan, Call Me by It by Evan Heller, Senior at Attleboro High School
  1. New Grant Awards Support the ADA Vision on Its 21st Anniversary by Kathy Greenlee, Assistant Secretary of Aging, U.S. Department of Health and Human Service
  1. Observing World AIDS Day by Miguel Gomez, Director of AIDS.gov

Please leave a comment to let us know what you think and what topics you’d like to see covered next year.

We wish you a safe and happy holiday!

32 Responses to Take a Look at the Stars of 2011 – Top 10 Guest Blogs

1. Anon says:

I was looking at some of your blog posts on this web site and I believe this website is really instructive! Keep posting.

2. Jenn says:

After reading on the DOL site that the WRP is designed to recruit students into federal employment via college campus job centers, I went to the job center at my school only to be told that they did not have such a program. Not only that, but I could not find a single person in the office who knew what “Schedule A” is or how it works. I’m also disappointed that even the OPM and USAjobs disability employment information is minimal at best, and lacking in any real and practical advice on getting a job with the federal government – it’d be nice if there were job LISTINGS for the disabled since the feds are supposed to be the model employer for us (if not specific, what good is it?). The federal jobs site could use some changes in general – “more jobs like this” could be more helpful if it found other job titles that shared similar skills and job duties given the fact that one agency’s legal assistant is another’s case technician (for example).

I’ve spent the past decade on SSI, getting myself as “together” as I’m ever going to be has been quite the process of ‘trial-and-error’ prescribing – and I will always be grateful to the doctor whom I saw those 10 years that retired because of her own medical problem in July 2011 – without her expertise and effort, I know I wouldn’t have been able to resume college and finish my associates degree and wanting to work. The problems I’m having now is my lack of job experience in the past 10 years, the concern that should I manage to find work that I will lose the prescription coverage I depend on to manage my disability (the cash benefits aren’t as big of an issue since a job = $). I’d prefer a government position because even with the current economic and political situation, there’s still more stability in government work than in the private sector for the disabled.

I did get a topic-relevant reply from the president in regards to the letter I sent him, even if I had given up hope of a response by the time I received it, roughly 3 months after I mailed mine.

3. Ice man says:

I’ve been looking for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area. Exploring in Yahoo, I eventually stumbled upon this website. Studying this info, I am satisfied to express that I’ve a very good feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I will make sure to remember this website and give it a look regularly.

4. Kathy G. says:

Please, can’t we hire one of those unemployed lawyers to help the disabled??

5. Kathy G. says:

Can someone find a lawyers for me – medical malpractice? PLEASE?!

6. Dubai says:

These are not on good times…the system and policies should be changed so that disabled also can lead honorable lives. Also, the government as well as the private sector have got to keep the rents low in accordance with the inflation rate.

7. Marsha Kay B. says:

I believe we can get a lot accomplished if we communicate and find the right resources we can to help those needing it. Full time job, but it will be worth it.

8. I really enjoy visiting this site. I find the articles very informative and a great way to disseminate information. The Disability Blog Team does a great job in providing a wide variety of information, useful to all types of disabilities. It was great to see how you guys rallied and responded to our petition to make this site more accessible.

I especially enjoyed the No Boundaries Series in its attempt to promote disability employment education. I write a lot about the importance of promoting employment for the disabled on my own site. The topic is vital because of the independence it gives the disabled community.

9. T. Mesha says:

I’m just lost on what to do next. Going through VR and just got tested and I have a substanual low IQ so I have a difficult time learing and keeping information. I struggle much more so now as an adult. I want to work, but M not able to at this time. My psychologist wants me to wait til I get a grip on my anxiety. What do I do in the mean time? Also, I’m not on SSI.

• Marsha Kay B. says:

I would love to help you in any way I can, and be your friend. You are not alone. Getting your disability would be your 1st step. Go to the Disability web site and sign up. I’m sure you can get more information from others, also. God Bless you. Marsha kay

10. edwaard11 says:

I would like more information on Desert Storm and Desert Shield veterans. Everyone has forgotton about the first Iraq war.

• stephanieb says:

Hi Edward:

We will try to find a guest blogger on that topic within the next few months.

Thanks for your feedback!

- The Disability.gov Team

11. Jonathan says:

They give us a cost of living raise finally. I received 33.00 dollars on my check, then they cut my food stamps 15.00. This does not make any sense to me. The economy is bad enough for all these college educated idiots in congress. I know my spelling might not be correct, but you get the point. I would like them to live off less than 1000.00 a month and now 62.00 in food stamps.

12. Phillip W. says:

I would like to know what resources are available to or where to file any complaints against the Department of the Treasury for off setting my retirement annuity by 25% of my take home pay for a federal debt the U S DOL has falsely misstated to the Department of Treasury. This has damaged my credibilty and prevents myself from receiving a pell grant. This is pure Bull. I’am a 62 year old veteran on Medicare. This is illegal and these Federal Agencies should be held accountable. Any help or suggestions? Respectfully Phillip W.

13. James S. says:

Your emails have been most helpful to better understand same standards (requirements) and new items from Social Security, the military, VA, etc. Where to go for additional information on subjects is most valuable. I am most interested in an item – Where or how can I have my Army discharge corrected? I retired in 2000 with over 20 yrs of service with no disabilities, even though my record clearly showed some and my primary military physician and my commander recommended a medical discharge. After discharge, I went to the VA (within 1yr) and they awarded me over 40% disability, all service connected and all listed in my health record submitted to the Army MEB/PEB. Please continue to send me your very informative emails.

14. Robert E. W. says:

I enjoy this SITE, “Happy New Year” from Me and Ann (my wife).

15. Victor says:

Good day! Happy New Year 2012! I thank you for the humane treatment of people! I wish in 2012 success, happiness and high spirits! Thank you! I am a true Christian. I’ve always been interested in the subject of nutrition and spiritual joy of man! This is longevity, and the truth of life! In the new year I want to give advice on this topic! Thank you!

16. Vicki S. says:

I did contact HUD, and filed papers for a lawsuit on discrimination, with a man in Harrisburg, and they simply vanished, never heard from them again. So that is the help we get?

17. For 2012 I’d like to see ALL TV shows with closed captioning capability, especially live news.

• I don’t think that will ever happen as TV networks don’t really care about people. It will only happen when all the ambulance chaser lawyers need a new avenue to go after.

18. Zoann M. says:

Please have more information for those of us who live with “invisible” disabilities such as chronic illnesses. While the information on job availabilities and accommodations are helpful for those people who can work, there is a dearth of assistance for those who cannot work, but still need help.

19. Mildred says:

I turned 65 in Nov. of this year. I have worked hard all my life, paid my bills, taxes, etc. so why is it fair when someone claims to have a problem, they get help? I have COPD, pulmary fibrosus, congestive heart failure, I am a diabetic and when I tried to get health insurance NO ONE would take me. I had to retire. Now my husband and I are living on social security and are just barely getting along. I have health insurance, but the copays for the scripts are so expensive I can barely afford them and do not how long we can hang on. I am not able to get a job anywhere, am not able to work and am on oxygen 24 – 7. There are others who claim to be sick, but the things they are able to do for being ill are amazing. I really do not think things are fair. I don’t want special treatment, I have never had any and am too old for charity now. I just wish something could be done for the people who are really ill to pay for their meds. Thank you.

• Jim L. says:

Try WALMART, CVS, KROGERS, and orther pharmacies. Many fill some scripts for $4.00 or free.
      Jim L.

• Kathy G. says:

Thank you Mildred. I’m in a similar situation. I’ve worked for well over 40 years. I thought I was doing everything that I was supposed to. Seven years ago, the health insurance mandated me to go to the hospital. In the hospital, the hopital staff brutally assaulted me and forced on me numerous drugs under the direct supervision of two specialists. They had the information that I had life-threatening adverse reactions to those same drugs, I repeated that numerous times. The specialists (and as far as I can tell, ALL doctors) have forgotten what adverse reactions are. Of course, this is extremely illegal. I’ve also had several coworkers deaths within months of this assault. I can’t be sure, because coincidence after coincidence has not helped me at all. In fact the police will not help. The lawyers I’ve contacted will not help. Due to the horrendous adverse reactions, I was illegally fired and labeled “disabled”. They replaced my retirement with an unpayable debt, which I have NO HOPE of paying forever. I’m in abject poverty. I’ve seen nutrional deficiencies, because I DON’T have enough money to eat. Like an idiot, I took my brother into my home for protection from the neighbors and the police. He’s starving to death, too and now I’m having trouble getting him out of my home. I’ve faced court litigations over and over and over again over those seven years, due to this labeling. I’ve applied for literally thousands of jobs, only to be denied because of the “disability” label. I DO NOT NEED SSD, because this is a death sentence for me (obviously). I NEED A LAWYER, who knows how to untangle the FDA preemption from the denialism that has trenched in their minds, in order HELP not HARM me. PLEASE!!

20. Paula G. says:

Ilike reading the blogs and los like to start a blog under your web site

• Veshielda says:

You know, it seems to me that a person needs to have deep knowledge or skills in order to make money online. The exception to that would be someone who happens to own a franchise to a group that does have deep knowledge. In 2009, the US Department of Education released a study comparing online schools where kids are taught face to face. Their findings were no surprise to me, that, on average online students learn more. With all the distractions of a typical school, especially the time wasted bringing order to the chaos resulting from bringing hundreds of hormone driven teens together, I would have though that was obvious.

21. A. Bentley says:

I would be fascinated to see some collective intelligence on the always quoted “The ADA does not apply to the Federal Government.” There are limited exceptions, but statutorily it seems pretty close to true, and rarely challenged. The catch 22 of this premise is that one cannot long maintain any ADA violation action in Federal court against a federal defendant. That result is, to me, mind-numbing.

Bentley

22. Paula says:

I’d like to have a blog under the your web site. What do I need to do to get started?
    Thank You.