Categories: Civil Rights & Voting, Housing

By Guest Blogger Bryan Greene, General Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Happy Fair Housing Month! This year, we celebrate the 45th anniversary of the federal Fair Housing Act.  This would be a happier occasion if we could announce that we had eradicated unlawful housing discrimination. We can at least take this time to acknowledge the progress we have made.

In today’s blog, I would like to bring to your attention mortgage lending practices which the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has alleged unlawfully discriminate against borrowers with disabilities, and the relief we have obtained for such borrowers.

Let’s begin with the story of a woman named Renee. When Renee applied for a loan from Bank of America to purchase a home in Michigan, she probably did not expect to be asked about her disability or to be asked to provide medical information from a doctor.  Yet that was what she said happened.  She and other borrowers alleged that Bank of America had a policy of requiring homebuyers with disabilities to submit a letter from a doctor establishing that they would continue to receive Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) benefits for at least three years.  In some cases, borrowers said the bank inquired about the nature and severity of their disabilities.

Renee provided a Social Security Benefits Statement and other documents that substantiated her SSDI income.  None of these documents suggested that her benefits had an expiration date.  Still, she said, Bank of America was not satisfied, and required her to provide a letter from a doctor identifying her disability.  Renee complied, in order to get the loan.

In addition to Renee, a borrower in Wisconsin and another in Michigan also alleged they were subject to the same invasive inquiries from Bank of America. The Wisconsin borrower had provided a Social Security benefits award letter and other documents that substantiated his SSDI income and other income.  None of these documents suggested that his SSDI benefits had an expiration date.  Nevertheless, he alleged, Bank of America required a letter from his doctor saying that he was permanently disabled. The borrower refused to provide the letter.  Consequently, he and his wife were denied the loan, and they lost the opportunity to purchase their desired home.

The Michigan borrower similarly provided a Social Security award letter and other documents substantiating his Social Security income, which did not have an expiration date.  He said the bank requested a letter from his doctor stating that his SSDI benefits would continue for three years. The borrower withdrew his application rather than comply with the request, and he incurred additional costs to apply for a new loan.

The Fair Housing Act prohibits lenders from requiring extra income documentation from people with disabilities when their receipt of certain benefits already demonstrates a fixed income that is likely to continue. The Fair Housing Act further prohibits lenders from inquiring about the nature or severity of a disability.

The three homebuyers above came forward and filed complaints with HUD, leading the agency to undertake a broader investigation of Bank of America’s practices.  The case, which HUD charged and later referred to the Department of Justice, resulted in company-wide policy changes at Bank of America, training of underwriters and loan officers and monitoring of loan applications to ensure compliance.  Bank of America also paid a total of $125,000 to the three homebuyers, and searched for others who may have been impacted by the illegal policies in order to compensate them.

We thank the three homebuyers for bringing these practices to light.  As we work to ensure that people with disabilities have equal access to credit to purchase a home, we rely on the public to report discrimination.

For More Information:

If you feel that you have been discriminated against because of your disability in relation to buying or renting a home or apartment, you can file a Housing Discrimination Complaint online at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/housing_discrimination.

Bryan Greene is the General Deputy Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. In this position, he is charged with overseeing the policy direction and operational management of this 600-person office. Under his leadership, HUD has pursued large-scale high-profile cases that address systemic discrimination and provide widespread relief. Mr. Greene has devoted his professional career to fighting housing discrimination and promoting diverse, inclusive communities.

57 Responses to Fair Housing Month Update: HUD Takes on Discrimination against People with Disabilities in Mortgage Lending

1. martha2746 says:

WOW…..what troubles I am going through right now….I was with BANK OF AMERICA too once I was on SSI & SSD, they sold my mortgage to NATIONSTAR all the way in TEXAS. I have been trying for months to get a modification to lower my payment and my interest of 7% but every time I send my papers they say they haven’t received them or I have forgotten something. I’m getting so tired of the whole thing I just feel like walking away to a cheaper place to live….Martha from Michigan

2. Wesley M. says:

I was just approved for SSI and will probably be getting around $800/month. I would like to buy a 5 acre piece of land with or without a small house/cabin in southern California. My credit score is low for now. (I will be working on making it better.) What programs are available to me that will help me with a down payment? Please email a response to me.

Thank you.

3. Kaylin D. says:

It’s not even worth the air I am sharing w/ my 10 yr old son in the words, letters, shelters, domestic, trials, DHS, SSI, Ssdi, ssa, advocates, family, governor, superintendent, every police agency that won’t protect us, and the true ordinance violation, unprofessional and simply useless busted and forced on me to to be a piece I statistical s***. I’m alone and done with my SSN now stolen by ex and the advocate for all the people Is me! I’m soooo. Much on top of the game that they all won’t help me I can’t help others since the barriers that are not using one Of the easy or even my diagnosis pain mgmt options for a decent life I hate Michigan and that I’s my latest and worst public truth

I’t is all lies so please leave us to suffer. We hope the karma hits soon and hard

4. Patti says:

Just filled out a fed-ex application for a Re-Fi with the same bank I have had a mortgage with for 10 years. Had refinanced just less than 4 years ago & was not asked for a doctors note then, about my SSDI, but this go around, it was in there. I visit the doctor enough! I will not make a special trip to accommodate the bank. That would be like asking a regular employee to furnish a statement from their employer that they will still be employed in three years!!!! I’m going to see if they decide to process the loan without the doctors note.

5. Louis B. says:

My wife & I had to enter bankruptcy due to loss of income. She is retired & permanently disabled due to several major surgeries. She has been declared ineligible for S.S. disability since she worked for a state agency with its own retirement program. She is also ineligible for SSI since I continue to work 2 jobs, my income is too high. We will probably lose our home this year. Are there any gov’t programs to help us re-establish credit & possibly return to home ownership as soon as possible?

• Louis B. says:

Asked a question two weeks ago. Is there anybody there to bother sending a reply?

Hi Louis,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your original comment. We try our very best to respond to all comments on Disability.Blog, but unfortunately, we missed yours. We will post a reply to your original comment shortly. Thank you for your patience, and again we apologize for missing your original comment.

Best,

The Disability.Blog Team

Hi Louis,

Please contact your local Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Counseling Agency to find out about programs that may be able to help you. You can find contact information by visiting http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm. You may also wish to visit HUD’s “Avoiding Foreclosure” webpage (http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/avoiding_foreclosure), which provides additional information on how to avoid losing your home.

Best,

The Disability.Blog Team

6. Michael N. says:

I think the program is awesome, and would love if you can show me how I can sign up. Thank you. Please respond back.

Hi Michael – I’m not sure which program you are referring to, but if you would like to find out about getting housing assistance from HUD, please contact your local HUD Housing Counseling Agency. You can find contact information at http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm.

If you feel you have been descriminated against because of a disability with regard to renting or buying a home, you can fill out a Housing Discrimination Complaint form at https://portal.hud.gov/FHEO903/Form903/Form903Start.action, or call HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity for help at (800) 669-9777.

Best,

The Disability.Blog Team

7. Cindy says:

I feel that I’ve been discriminated against from this webpage. This is my second msg. Why is it that the Disability blog team responded with a helpful msg to another single mother that wrote on here, but not me? WHY, because her child has autism? SO we get discriminated against because we’re not disabled? Not fair!!!

Hi Cindy,

We truly apologize for not replying sooner! We do our best to try to respond to all messages and questions we receive on Disability.Blog. However, sometimes we do miss a question or two. We promise it was not intentional. We will go back and find your original message and reply to it ASAP!

Best,

The Disability.Blog Team

8. Roseville Property Management says:

Stories like Renee’s are important to share so that people know this is happening. The HUD does important work ensuring tenant screening fairness and spreading awareness about discrimination. There’s an informative blog post on fair housing legislation that breaks it down for tenants and property managers if you’re looking for more information. It’s important for property owners to understand the laws so they do not violate them.

9. Kimberly K. says:

I am so glad to see that about the banks and mortgage fraud. Banks who sell you a house don’t care if you have enough income, as long as they get your loan and know it will come back around. I too have been waiting since 2009 to receive my award letter, which I did on April 1 this year (which is my birthday). I too have a house. I purchased it in Belmond, Iowa with my husband. The bank officer is also the Vice President of the home town bank, First State Bank of Belmond.

I am no longer married, separated since May of 2009, marriage was ended on Sept. 1, 2011. I am not even sure if it’s a HUD or FMHA. The officer filled out all the closing and real estate settlement papers. Also, I found out through trying to get the house sold and find attorney or state or federal help or other options, that on all documents it states the house was purchased for $60,000.00 and we put down $10,000.00. This is on all closing settlement papers, all documents. My ex hasn’t even seen them all, but we have never put $10,000.00 down. Also, the appraisal I found on closing documents, which I demanded – it took 6 months to get the appraisal – was also done by the officer 6 months after closing on our house. I never understood why on the loan if it was government or what I know as of today, I am denied any information on why the loan amorization does not match each time. My point is that this officer stated to my then lawyer that my name can’t be removed because I had deep pockets and my ex isn’t credible. The best is he has asked for my dad’s will and statement to know how much money I got when my dad died. He has it all in his desk – to lend me money he had to get a statement from the law firm who represents my dad’s estate/will (who I hired before and now is the attorney for my ex). It is a court ordered sale, Sept. 1 2011.

It’s the bank officer who refuses to give me information. I finally received a form which I found again – it turns out my ex-husband keeps borrowing. 8 times he has received extentions and gets renewed every 4 years. I asked years ago to extend (they skip monthly payments and add 1 or $2,000.00). I couldn’t do anything without my ex approving and endorsing the loan, but then I found out he is still refinancing the loan to this day. $46,000.00 is the amount borrowed since 2004. We owe the same amount, maybe $600.00 more. How can a mortgage loan and bank officer refuse me information when I am on the deed title listed as an owner? I haven’t been informed about renewals every four years or when the loan can change interest. My ex also refinanced it to lower the amount paid over $100.00 a month.

Please help me. The bank refuses to help me unless I show them I can really do legal action now (this is what I was told). My ex attorney, the attorney of my family’s estate, keeps sending me letters. We are not going to sell the home. It will now remove my name if I sign over my interest. A man named Brad from Iowa State Bank regulators said I could do this. The point is, how could they my ex refinanceor extend 7 or 9 times without telling me? I have every document to back this up.

I would love this bank to also be investigated. They do things differently in a small town, is what the president says. How can I make the bank give me a monthly payment history? The way it is now, my ex is getting loans extended on what they claim is half my responsibility. Seriously, help me. I too am on disability. No one wants to take on the bank. Even the Iowa State bank regulars stated I can file a complaint, but they can answer and respond whatever they want, regulators cannot force the bank to be honest or legally do anything. It’s a legal matter, he stated. Why do we have them help me find out why I can’t get info on my own house? Help anyone.

• Cheryl says:

I am so sorry to hear that you are in such a situation. I don’t know the answer for sure, but I have a couple of ideas you might consider. The TV news station in my local area (SC) and at my old home (Washington D.C. area) has a program called “7 on Your Side” and they like to help people who are having trouble like you are having. The fact that you have documentation is great. They just might take your story and go to the bank for you and try to resolve it. If the bank refuses, they put the story on TV news and embarrass the wrong doer (in this case the bank for not requiring your signature to extend the loans). See if you have a 7 on Your Side in your area. I noticed that it is in NY and CA, too. Probably nationwide. But given that you are disabled, too, they may really respond with help.

Another thing you might try is to write to your congressman. Explain your situation and ask them for help. Very often they will help by writing a letter for you (in this case to the bank) or address the issue in some other way. Our congressmen and senators work for us. We pay their salaries. t’s perfectly all right for you to ask them for help with this.

The only other thing I can think of is to contact the attorney general’s office of your state and ask about the legality of what the bank is doing to you. You mentioned that the state bank regulators don’t seem to want to help, that they say it is a legal matter– well, see how they respond to inquiries from the attorney general’s office.

Again, I am not sure if those three ideas will work, but I think they are worth a try. Frankly, I have lost confidence in our government, so I would tend to try 7 on Your Side first.

10. John G. says:

Me and my 9 year old son are both disabled. My son has CP. I’m on one leg, and can’t ask for help, the gov. looked into it, so they say. I’m so sorry for all of use with disabilities. We got to fight back for our rights. Let’s get togother. All the people that get help that don’t need it…. how do thay get away with it?!! That’s what the gov. has to look into right away!

11. Gregory P. says:

I’ve tried to get a repossessed HUD home, but because I’m disabled and on SSDI income they don’t even give me and my two kids a chance so we’re stuck living in housing authority where my kids get picked on and beat up all the time. Even the people in the PHA try to find reasons to get us out. Can you help me get into a &199.00 a month HUD home for me and my kids. We live in Palatka, FL. Thank you and GOD BLESS YOU.

12. Allan T. says:

My wife and I had hired a company to do a loan modiforcation, which in other words means a very low interest rate and a mortgage payment that we could handle. Well, we paid almost 5,000.00 dollars and about 8 months later, we were notified from the FBI that we were scammed. Now we are 3 months behind in our mortgage because we were taking their advice, with no more money in the bank, we are screwed. We are both disabled and cannot work due to our disabilities, so we called the bank to see what we could work out with them. Turns out we could do the loan modification with them, and just like all the other stories here Bank of America did ask us for the same things and low and behold we were told that we were not eligable for the loan mod. I don’t get it we are struggling to pay bills and such with the little bit we get per month and are not eligable.

• Karin L. H. says:

I too am disabled. I have epilepsy, and at one time my husband and I had our own mortgage through Bank of America. They don’t treat anyone right, especially those with disabilities. One month, I found We were going to be away for the next month and I wouldn’t be able to make the mortgage payment, so I made it the month before. I made them electronically through our account, and I found 3 months payments missing from our account, without my permission, which through our checking account so far out of balance that we incurred well over $150 in overdraft fees. Luckily I had saved all receipts, so I had proof I payed them all on time and the assistant manager had taken most of the payments and knew me. But if you recieve Social Security Disability checks, then get in touch with the Social Security Department because they I believe they have a legal obligation to give you any assistance you may need or at least give you advice and tell you what to do in that case so you aren’t in a situation all by yourself with no place to go. Karin H.

13. Jim H. says:

Our original bank that wrote our original loan discounted it to another bank. Naturally our rate went up. We saw a TV ad from Lend America. (The Fed Govt. closed them down as a predatory lender. This was going on when we were trying to get help.) Our Senators, Congressman were useless. Help for DSSI clients was not available for us. RESULT: OUR HOME WAS STOLEN BY A SUBSIDARY OF LEND AMERICA – LOANCARE. OUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL DOES A GREAT JOB, BUT THE HEAD OF THE LOAN FRAUD DIVISION HAD A BONE TO PICK WITH US FOR SOME REASON AND DRUG HER FEET AND REFUSED TO COOPERATE. DAMN THE GUILTY PARTIES TO HELL!

14. Rebecca G. says:

Hi, my name is Rebecca, and I am a single parent to an 11 year old son with Autism. I work, but because I do I am not eligible for any assistance. I barely make enough to get us by for the month, but I am not able to do any extras. We live in a 2 bedroom house where my son sleeps in the living room ,because I can’t afford to pay for the whole rent by myself, which means I had to get a roommate in order to just live (we can’t afford to live by ourselves). I would appreciate any information that would help me and my little boy to be able to afford a house or an apartment, so Ryan is able to have his own little room. Thank you.

15. S. says:

If you receive HUD assistance it is a blessing. However, a lot of landlords get paid through this program and most landlords do not and will not fix their property up as far as insulating, etc. I have had electric bills higher than my rent payment. HUD does inspections yearly and requires property owners to fix what they find wrong with the property, however, there have been times that the homeowner doesn’t fix what HUD failed during their inspections and still receives their rent payments from the government. I notice some people on here are in need of shelter, where as I am blessed to have a roof over my head. You would think that HUD would take a very close look at these landlords receiving money from the tax payers and government to pay for their property, because some of the property is slums. There have been times where my landlord threaten that I would have to move if I complained about the property I live in. The landlord wants me to live like he wants me to live and not like I want to live, my tile throughout my house is from the 70s, the carpet is worn out, etc. I am disabled and Lord knows I am not in a position to move somewhere else, so I feel stuck, but blessed at the same time. In saying all of this, it’s better to have a roof over your head than not, but just because you receive government benefits shouldn’t mean that you have to live in a slum. I know some folks on Section 8 that keep a very nice and clean home and some of their landlords keep their property up. HUD should require landlord to fix major things such as tile, carpet, etc. every so many years that the landlords are in the program and HUD should have some type of survey for tenants to speak on about their landlord, after all, the landlords are paying off their properties with government money and they are profiting, too.

Hi S.,

You can report problems with a landlord or the management of a HUD assisted or insured property by calling HUD’s Multifamily Housing Complaint Line at 1-800-685-8470 (people who are deaf or hearing impaired can call 1-800-432-2209). Information specialists will explain how to effectively report problems to building management, answer questions about residents’ rights and refer callers to local Public Housing Agencies and other organizations, if needed. For more information, visit http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/mfh/hc/complaint.

Best,

The Disability.Blog Team

16. Richard L. (Rick) K. says:

As a long time Disability Rights Advocate, I have fought against discrimation for more than twenty years, I have been arrested in front of HUD in DC and in past administrations pretty much ignored. It’s good to hear that things may be changing, we’ll be watching!

17. Maria M. says:

I am 45 and disabled. I’m able to do almost everything, it just takes me longer. I need a home so badly! My health is running me down. I’ve been lucky to find a few rooms to rent, but it is exhausting! My health would greatly improve if I could just find a home that I can stay in and not worry about where to go next! I do get SSDI. I need help so badly! I am unble to drive – my vehicle died on me and I just couldn’t afford to keep it up. If anyone knows how to get to the right contacts, please forward my information.

Thank you.

18. Aida I. M. says:

I want to got a home in Derby, Ct. Can you send me info., please? Aida I. M.

19. Helen says:

I am very glad to have this knowledge. Thank you for helping these people.

20. Melvere says:

Great article…so happy to see the people realize their dream. The Bank of America seems to have issues on various levels.

21. Richard J. M. says:

I was given a loan they knew I could not paid because of my fixed income. I need help now.

22. JOSE says:

Good Morning,

DON’T HAVE TO PRESENT MEDICAL STATEMENTS. ALSO THE DELAY IN THE GOVERNMENT TO APPROVE OR FINISH THE PROCESS IN SOME CASES TAKES TOO LONG AND CREATES A FINANCIAL HARDSHIP IN THE PEOPLE AND ALSO HURTS OUR CREDIT. IN MY CASE, I AM A VETERAN WITH DISABILITIES SINCE 2006. I SERVED IN IRAQ AND NOW I STARTED RECEIVING BENEFITS, BUT WHAT HAPPENED IS THAT MY CREDIT IS HURT TO BUY A HOME, SO I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY WITH VA LOANS, BUT I DON’T HAVE CREDIT TO DO SO, SO I STARTED FIXING MY CREDIT WHEN THE GOVERNMENT WAS THE ONE THAT CREATE THE SITUATION BECAUSE OF THE BUREAUCRACY. WHO PAY THIS? US. AND DURING THE HARDSHIP YOU CREATE A DEBT WITH THE GOVERNMENT WHEN YOU START GETTING PAID THEY TAKE IT FROM OUR PENSION, WHEN IT WAS THEIR FAULT.

23. Wanda T. says:

My offer was accepted three times for a home and each time when the bank found out about my disabled status, the acceptance was withdraw. The first time the bank removed it from the realtor altogether. The second time the bank lowered their asking price to entice other buyers and the third time it was accepted, but terminated when they found an employed buyer! All three of the offers were for the same home (the employed buyer fell through, but the bank would not consider me, so the house just sat there until finally it was sold months later). I don’t know why the selling bank thought that they would not get their money if it came for my lender or maybe it was just me!

24. Timothy G. says:

This one from gov. that didn’t help me when I was in South Carolina. I was told HUD would help me get a house so I would have a home. OMG, what a joke! I don’t live in South Carolina anymore. I’m in Florida now and still homeless.

25. Wanda T. says:

I was asked the same questions about the continued benefits and I was not given the approval letter for several weeks after approval, which I do not believe is the custom for my employed counterparts, thus making me miss out on the appropriate size and affordable home that I was trying to place an offer on, but could not w/o the approval letter. I begged and pleading but to no avail! The loan officer, whp was the only one used for disabled applicants, would not comply. She insisted that I apply for city and county funds, which was sold to me as “forgiven” loans, but ended up being 2nd and 3rd loans, which would tie up my credit for the next 30 yrs preventing me from borrowing the money to add the bedroom needed for my disabled child (after I missed out on the home that had enough bedrooms)!

26. Wanda T. says:

I applied and was approved by Travis Credit Union, but the loan officer would not provide an approval letter w/o making me apply for $90k in down payment assistance as a second and third mortgage, even though the original loan amount was enough to purchase the home of my choice. I ended up with an over priced home with one less bedroom for my disabled family and having to max out my credit cards to add the bedroom because I could not qualify for a loan for 30 yrs with the 2nd and 3rd mortgage hanging over my head (something that was not made clear to me)! The loan officer was replaced, but my financial and home situation will probably never be OK.

27. Sandra says:

I thank you sincerely. I been told my income has to be three-times the monthly rent and six of the places I visited stated that HOUSING & URBAN DEVELOPMENT does not exist any more, that’s been since 1985-1991. Thanks! Again, I really feel much better now that I know different.

28. Eugene O. S. Sr. says:

Thank you for this information. Enjoyed reading this, very happy to see people getting help. I am a little slow myself. I would like to own a home myself. Who can I get some help from here in Mobile, AL? It’s time to own instead of renting. Who can I talk to in HUD? I try to look up things and get lost.

Eugene O. S.

29. Violeta says:

Please help me if you can find housing. I am on DISABILITY for my whole life. I need help. Thanks. Violeta S.

30. Richard M. says:

Hi, I’m on disabilty because of birth and would to know what lending companies don’t discriminate because I would like to buy a house. Thanks much.

31. Susan C. says:

I AM ON SSI, I live in an apartment.

32. Annie M. says:

That is true. Bank of America foreclosed on my home. I tried time after time to get them to work with me, starting in 2008 after me and my ex-husband separated due to his Domestic Violence Conviction. In September of 2008, I brought my mom to live with me after a severe stroke in lieu of putting her in a nursing home. Medicaid paid for her to have a nurse while I worked. She was on SSI and Social Security. In Jan. of 2009, I filed Bankruptcy, but it was dismissed as of April 2010 due to my job ending in September 2009 due to the housing crisis. I was employed by LandAmerica Financial Group/Commonwealth and Lawyers Title Inc. They filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. But I still had enough income to make payments to Countrywide Bank which Bank of America owns. In 2010, I was able to hire an attorney and stop a foreclosure due to Bank of America’s unscrupulous practices. In March of 2011, I had a stroke, but I was still trying to get Bank of America to work with me, they would not work with me at all. First they said I needed my ex-husband to agree to take his name off the loan and when I personally walked into a Bank of America and had them make copies of the Separation & Property Agreement & final Divorce Decree from my ex-husband, secondly, I needed my ex to sign along with me to get the loan refinanced in my name or sign for a modification; which he would not do. Thirdly, I needed to show my Disability Award letter and ending date.Then I tried the Attorney General here in Virginia, he was no help nor was H.O.M.E. I didn’t have $9,000 to rehire my attorney. On July 19, 2012 my home was foreclosed on. Bank of America has it back. I’ve been contacted by the Attorney and he still says he can get my home back but he still needs $9,000.00. He has a proven track record winning law suits against Bank of America. So I’m still holding on to my faith that before April 26, 2013 everything will work in my favor. It seems as if he and I were the only ones who knew Bank of America’s dirty secrets until now.

33. Peggy D. says:

Yes, I need to be on HUD assistance. I would like a place to live by myself, but rent is too high for my SSI check and I would like to move into a HUD house. I need help with the rent. Can I get HUD assistance or a voucher for help to get in a house for myself?

34. Sylvia M. C. says:

I thought it was me, now I know it was not. Dealing with HUD in 2012 was the worst time for me, besides my illness. I was trying my best to get financing for a home (now I have settled on a townhouse due to my falling down), but I got nowhere. I was like a dog chasing her tail. I tried to get information about the Keystone Home Loan Programs. Nobody knew what I was talking about. I am renting and I wanted to start buying with my money. I went to a counseling class because my credit was not up to par. I have not missed one rent payment since living here for the past eight years. I am so glad someone now knows about what goes on. Now maybe some people that sound like they care and are not writing checks from their bank accounts will service the public when they call. To be in situation of need is truly one thing, but when you are calling to get out of a bad area to a safe home and you are talked down to, that is another. Thanks for listening. Sylvia M. C.

35. Robin P. says:

I have heard that this also happens to people with disabilities in South Dakota, especially if they are Native American. I wish that you would investigate the banks and mortgage lenders in Rapid City, SD. I am sure you will find a history of discrimination at these institutions.

36. Mary G. says:

I would like to know what I could do about a situation I had after I moved into the apartment I reside in now. After I moved in, maybe about three months later, I asked if they could make the parking space that I parked in a handicapped space. There was handicapped parking on the side of each building but this one.

I was told they could do it. I waited and waited and it never got done. Then one day, I went in to asked about it, and I was told they needed doctors notes saying what my handicap was and a copy of my decal. I gave them what they wanted and I was told by the maintence superviser that he wasn’t going to put the sign out because that spot was his friend’s spot. I went to the office to ask if could he do that and I was told no, but they were waiting on the paint to come in so they could paint the spot. For months it never came. I finally got the sign after a year.

Meanwhile, I had a new neighbor move in above me. I put in so many complaints about the noise from her apartment, but they never did any thing about it. I was wondering why my neighbor kept calling me elderly, so I asked her. She told me that the girl in the office told her about my health problems. I confronted the lady and she denied it, but the neghbor knew my health problems. The neighbor wrote me a letter saying that she was told about my health problems from the office staff. I was also told by the maintence supervisor at that time that he didn’t know I had so many health problems.

I want to know if there’s anything I can do about my personal information being told? I felt so embarrassed. I didn’t want to go into the office or walk to the laundry room. Can you tell me what can be done? I’ve been here three years now.

- Hurt and Tired

37. Susan C. says:

NEED HOUSING HELP BADLY. Have been on county list for 3 years, disabled and terrified.

38. Susan C. says:

I have worked all my life and am on SSDI. I live in Santa Rosa, Calif. I can no longer work due to multiple hip lifelong surgeries resulting in hip replacement, my pelvis is painful and heavy. I have fallen several times since my last hip surgery and broken my back 3x. I live in an “affordable living apartment complex.” Most of my income goes toward my rent. I have been on the HUD Section 8 waiting list for 3 years. The floors in my apt. are cold cement. I do not think it’s fair that I have not been notified for rent help, it’s been so long, so many others with tons of children get 1st priority over the disabled. I’m having a hard time here and pray I don’t fall and wish I could at least be given an approx. date. It’s so hard to save the money I’ll need to move because my rent is very high for me. I’m scared and really need housing help. So MANY others have it, have been on it forever and they are nowhere near as bad as myself. WHAT CAN I DO?

39. Brenda S. says:

I have tried to get on HUD assistance several times, but no! I know people who are on HUD assistance and are working under cover, receiving Food Stamps, having kids, men moving in with them. Just a few comments. I am willing to work and pay for a HUD house if working. I don’t understand why it’s so hard for people who are trying. What does one have to do to get on the program? How often does HUD have programs open to apply? Why do you give help to those who tear up the homes, sell drugs in the homes they live in and move in their boyfriends? When will HUD have another program to apply to? I live in Huntsville, Ala. Can I get an email when you are taking applications there?

40. Tony P. says:

I hope now things will be better for others and the trouble I went through will not happen to anyone else. Due to being disabled, I feel for them and had the actions taken toward me that caused me to take a very costly route to pay for a small size plot of land due to the facts that were in place at the time. I hope they will do better for others from now own. It’s too late for me.

41. Cindy says:

I’m glad to see that HUD paid out $375,000 to people who get guaranteed income every month. Obviously they aren’t struggling that bad financially if they are able to purchase a new home. $375,000 sure would have helped A LOT of us single moms out here in So. California who truly need some temporary help. In regards to myself, yes I get Food Stamps for my son, but that’s the only assistance I get because I work. Every month I’m struggling on how I’m gonna pay my rent of $700, car insurance, diapers etc. I see a lot of people on welfare that look beautiful with their colored nails done, new shoes and new cars and NOT struggling to pay rent. Any tips on how to do that would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is if I could just get some help with even half my rent for even just 6 months, that would so help me out a tremendous amount, maybe then I could afford to get myself and son new sneakers.

42. Jerry B. says:

What about purchasing prefabricated housing? What are the rules about buying prefabricated houses and mobile homes that are set on a foundation and the wheels removed?

43. Christine J. says:

Shame on people who have no compassion for persons needing attention. We all may find ourselves needing help. Disabled people like myself are good citizens who just want their civil rights granted.

44. Yvonne Desiree O. says:

Wells Fargo Mortgage does the same thing. I had the same runaround from Wells Fargo Mortgage In East Brunswick, NJ after being pre-approved for a mortgage and now AGAIN in North Carolina. Denied because of disability.

45. Dan C. says:

I am a veteran with a 100% disability rating. It has been since last summer that I have been searching for a VA streamline refinance on my VA home loan. Over 25 mortgagers have turned me down. After they all have pulled my credit score, my score is now too low for me to get a loan. I’ve since quit trying to refinance my 6% fixed rate VA loan.