Running a Business from Home: 5 Tips for 2014
Running a Business from Home: 5 Tips for 2014

Categories: Employment

Running Home Business 50 percent

By Guest Blogger Megan Totka, Chief Editor, ChamberofCommerce.com

For many workers with disabilities, having a home office is simply the easiest route. In some cases, employers may provide reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities if the job lends itself to working remotely. Other times, a worker may decide it is favorable to go into business on their own and enjoy the perks of self-employment.

If you are thinking about making some changes for the New Year when it comes to your career, consider taking the reins and running your own business – right from home. Here are some practical tips to make it happen:

1. Set up office space. One key to success when it comes to working from home is to set boundaries between your work and personal life. With some simple home office organization, you will feel in control of your workspace as well as your family time. Even if you do not have a lot of space, it is vital that you designate at least one area for your business and then keep it organized and free from at-home distractions.
  2. Stay connected to the outside world. For people with disabilities, a perk of working from home is not having to deal with the hassle of non-accommodating locations. Still, holing up in your house is not the healthiest way to run a business, or live. Join local associations that meet occasionally in order to get some face time with other community business owners. This is a great way to spread the word about your business and make connections.
  3. Use social media. In addition to face-to-face networking, take advantage of the many social media avenues available to market your business – often for free. More than 60 percent of consumers say that they use social media for purchasing decisions. Check out easy social media tutorials for small business owners and create basic profiles on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and even Pinterest. When a particular post, image or product does well in your social media circles, try to duplicate the style and timing to maximize your reach. Tip: Include pictures or videos when possible because consumers are 60 percent more likely to contact a business that uses images.
  4. Hire well. Even if you plan to work as a freelancer, there may be a time when you hire someone part-time for administrative or marketing help. Take the time to really weigh the different candidates to determine which person is the best fit for your need. Check up on resume references and use background check investigation services to be sure the person is giving you the full story. In addition to these basic tips, you should also gauge the personalities of the candidates.
  5. Take time off. When there is no physical escape from your workspace, you may find it difficult to walk away from your day job. Without at least some allotted time off, however, you will quickly burn out and that can mean a loss in productivity and revenue. Schedule entire days off, just like you would at a traditional job, and fit in vacations or staycations too. You will come back to your desk (or workbench, or sewing machine) with a renewed sense of motivation and purpose.

Taking the step to become your own boss is a big one that comes with a lot of rewards if you do it right. If you’ve been thinking of modifying your career direction in a way that puts you truly in charge, the New Year is a good time to make the switch.

Do you already run your own business? What tips would you add?

Megan Totka is the Chief Editor for ChamberofCommerce.com. She specializes on the topic of small business tips and resources. ChamberofCommerce.com helps small businesses grow their business on the web and facilitates connectivity between local businesses and more than 7,000 Chambers of Commerce worldwide.

14 Responses to Running a Business from Home: 5 Tips for 2014

1. Elaine M. says:

My disability is just becoming apparent to a fairly new employer after recently changed jobs after 8 1/2 years and never dreamed my disability would become this prevalent. My issue is not that I cannot work but getting to work as I am not permitted to drive. I live in a rural area and reliable transportation to/from work is impossible. I will graduate in May, 2014 from a local university campus with my MSW degree (after going back to school late in life) and feel as though I have done it all for nothing. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. Megan Totka says:

Check out our earlier post with specific places to look for work in specific industries for some really great ideas regarding working from home, full or part time.

3. Vedetta says:

I have a child on the autism spectrum and having difficulty in assisting him regarding transition services. I would like to know how do you find an appropriate fit for a high functioning child on the autism spectrum who has graduated High School, and now attending Vocational Technical Collage. However does need to locate a part time joy in the area of computers, due to this being the area of strength for him. Thank you.

4. Chelli M says:

I worked with my local Vocational Rehab Counselor, usually found in your state unemployment offices. I got a job through NTI, National Telecommuting Institute, Inc. Their website is http://www.nticentral.org/. NTI prefers to work with Voc Rehab but also accepts Ticket to Work. They only hire the disabled. Hope this helps.

5. larry c. says:

I had got a letter informing me I was denied had a hearing and resently got a denial letter for hearing. I was referred to a ssi advocate that they would help with process sent me a letter to call them. When I called the said that they don’t do federal levels so I called referred me to another attorynee which that sent me another questionare it said they would represent me then I call they they don’t represent your case the end but refuse =d to take after all paper work was completed denid service anyideas ?

6. John W. says:

To Whom This May Concern…..I had an Ischemic Stroke back in 1996.
    I need to get a p/t work from home using Dragon software. If possible, I have my own Computer, using MS V7 and I have office software. I have it difficult to get around, which I don’t have any means of transportation. I live in Whiting, NJ, I have my own home.
    I appreciate it if you could help me get a p/t job.
    Yours Truly
    John Ron W.

7. George S. says:

How do find out about real work at home.

• Marty F. says:

I am attending school for medical administration and seeking legit jobs companies I can stay at home and work online for. An accident at work left me disable causing a lot of pain that requires medication that makes me sleepy. Do you have any suggestions.
      Thank you!

• Nikhil says:

Holly, I know, it’s crazy! All of a sudden I just pepopd out. I’m kind of nervous to go to the doctor today to see how much weight I have gained. Our scale broke around the time I found out I was expecting, so I have no idea how much I weigh.

• crystal says:

Liveops.com is great and real goodluck i wirked for them three yesrs

8. Forest A. E. says:

Upon reading the comments posted within the article I am intrigued. I received a disability on April 11, 2000. The disability has limited me from receiving employment. I realized I was required to seek education to be considered for employment.

My initial field of study was Business Administration. I graduated and though I only possess an Associates Degree. I am currently studying Health Care Reimbursement. I desire information concerning employers interested in hiring disabled individuals. I live in Mississippi. The employments opportunities are scarce or non-existent.

9. aw h. says:

group help and continuing support may be a better approach for many with disabilities. We need better support systems and cooperative ventures.

10. Patricia B. says:

If I could find even a clerical job at home that let me use Dragon for typing I could handle it. How does on find a reliable WORK At HOME employer? I had my own business before my back got so bad but I didn’t pay myself so I can’t get benefits. Now I have to recline all the time and have arthritis in my fingers, hence, Dragon is necessary. I do have the professional version.

11. Alphonso D. says: