5 Ways to Keep Your Home-Based Business Running Smoothly
5 Ways to Keep Your Home-Based Business Running Smoothly

Categories: Employment

Young Man Sitting at Table Using a Laptop ComputerBy Guest Blogger Megan Totka, Chief Editor for ChamberofCommerce.com

The number of people who choose to leave corporate America to run a home-based business continues to grow. It’s the ideal situation for people who need additional flexibility or for those who have disabilities. Even people who receive Social Security can return to work with the help of the Social Security Administration’s Ticket to Work program.

For people with disabilities working from home makes perfect sense – the workspace and environment is set up with accommodations for an individual’s particular disability. Working at home can change your life and is a very rewarding experience – as long as you can abide by the basic rules of running a successful business from home. In order to stay on track, take a look at these helpful tips that can help you run your home-based business smoothly.

Structure Your Day
Turn your day into one that mimics what you had when you worked in an office setting.  Create structure so each day is similar to the next: establish a start and finish time and try to eliminate trips to the refrigerator or browsing online at things unrelated to work.  Online task managers like Outlook can provide a virtual reminder of what you need to do each day.

Motivate Yourself
Take the time to sit down and set goals for yourself and your business.  You no longer have reviews or progress reports, so it’s essential that you keep track of whether or not you’re making progress and headed for greater success.  Set goals that are bigger than completing your to-do list – you also have to set goals that motivate you to succeed.  Once a goal is met, further motivate yourself through rewards.

Take Time Out for Good Behavior
When you work in a home-based setting, it can be difficult to turn yourself off and stop working when you know that there is ample work to accomplish.  Take advantage of the flexibility you have and treat yourself on occasion.  While it’s tempting to work all the time, you need to know when to relax.  As your business runs more and more smoothly, reward yourself.  It’s important that you don’t get burned out.

Network
Find ways to network with other home-based business owners.  This is a great way to find leads and potential clients.  Spending time with others who also work from home gives you additional support and exposes you to individuals who may help you build your business.  There are lots of ways to market your local business on Facebook – so don’t forget to take advantage of social media as you network.

Organize Your Family Time
If you have children at home, you may realize the hours you work are based around their needs.  Many people opt to save on childcare expenses, but this can lead to hours away from work. Consider hiring help so you are guaranteed time to work and avoid distractions.

When it’s just you and your computer, the distractions of being at home can be hard to ignore.  But for a person with disabilities, working from home can change your life.  Running a home-based business can give you a chance at another career and allows you to have a job that fits your needs.

How has working from home or running your own home-based business changed your life?

Megan Totka is the Chief Editor for ChamberofCommerce.com. She specializes on the topic of small business tips and resources. ChamberofCommerce.com helps small businesses grow their business on the web and facilitates connectivity between local businesses and more than 7,000 Chambers of Commerce worldwide.

9 Responses to 5 Ways to Keep Your Home-Based Business Running Smoothly

1. Juan S. says:

I too am looking for related topics for home based business and found your post. All information provided here is very helpful. I will update them in my MLM Diary.

Let me start following you !

2. Robin says:

Would love more information. I taught school for 21 years. I have not been able to work since 2007.

3. Bruce B. says:

Lindy,

My ‘read’ of the income guidelines have left me with the conclusion that any business you create must simply limit it’s profits to 700 dollars in the short term, but pending development of a client base and business model so secure that you can consider using the 9 month trial allowing you to claim a higher income and retain your sense of being protected.

As for billing other fixed income recipients, my sense is that the new to cap your income will require you keep rates somewhat low, but most importantly, provide services or resources that make your fee a recoverable, one or two time charge that you fellow disabled peers can absorb over time. Incorporating as a 501-C-3 nonprofit organization would allow you to post a donation page for others to help with payment, but you credibility would have to be rock solid, and with allied professions and associations vouching for your good name. I hope this the main part of your question: I am not sure I read it correctly.

Bruce B.

4. Lindy says:

I have a great business plan for a consulting plan to help folks with an expected chronic illness like MS. I have done this on a volunteer basis to see how it can work and I know there are folks out there who I can and have helped, because I have a unique skill set as well as having had to navigate and form a short term and long term plan from working needing ADA help to SSDI and not working. My problem is how do I figure what is fair to charge for an hourly rate and for a project. People who are working don’t often think they need help I can give them until they are not working or about to leave the workplace and when they do and they have money what reseasonable hourly fee is is hard to figure out. On the project same thing. Last but not least is with folks who need me and know about me and they live on SSDI, LTD and or savings what do I charge them. Is all negotiable? I also have a great presentation that highlights the issues folks with MS need to think about and plan for and I wonder how I can find groups to present these. MS support groups are one, but where else? Any feedback you have or any others would be apreciated:)

• Rory S. says:

Dear Lindy, I have a chronic illness, and am also blind. I am interested in what you do, Are you taking new clients, if so, could we correspond?

5. Laurie M. says:

I am blind and got so tired of the discrimination in the work place that I started a home based business, and wanted to know if this website has aposting boar, so I can share this opportunity.

6. Mark says:

I am looking to start selling to the State government as a 8 a (minorty /disable status but unsure where to get started . I appreciate any help thanks.

Mark

7. Fernando P. M. says:

This is very helpful for me since I have strong limitations, due to back pain caused by an accident. A fall from an intensive care unit in a hospital psychiatric unit in Cidra, Puerto Rico. It was awful, but now with MHMRA rehabilitation program, I can be safe, and a better human being. Thanks for your understanding. April 2014

8. DON C. says:

I AM LOOKING FOR “WORK-FROM-HOME” OPPORTUNITIES. I AM VERY COMPUTER “SAVVY” HAVING WORKED FOR IBM ! CAN YOU PROVIDE SOME DIRECTION FOR ME ? THANK YOU, DON CARSON